Sunday, August 31, 2014

my new job




I have a new job! I'm teaching at MusicWorks, an El Sistema-based program run through CKYO. I started taking some photos of the kids involved this past week; see more and read more after the break if interested.








MusicWorks is kind of part of a large-scale movement in Lexington to improve the North Limestone neighborhood (nicknamed NoLi). There are a lot of businesses springing up in the area that are super awesome. We serve a particular school and can currently take up to 30 students, with hopes to grow in the future. The kids come directly from their school day to learn for 2.5 hours about music and instruments - and to eat a snack, which I'm fairly sure is their favorite part :)

These kids have not been dealt the easiest hand in life. The point of MusicWorks is to serve low-income families, and to try to give the kids basic skills alongside and through music education that will help them in the future. It can be a trying job sometimes, but it's rewarding. I've only been working there for two weeks, and I'm already starting to feel an attachment to them. They have an abundance of energy, and strong personalities. I love these photos! I'm going to finish up the rest of the class this coming week, and I'm looking forward to sharing more as the year goes on. From the top you have Rosa, Erica, Max, Kiyah, Melissa, Marisol, Eric, Gerardo, Aikin, and the twins, Mariflor and Mirella. (Eric's photo cracks me up - such enthusiasm!) Violinists, violists, and cellists galore.


No comments:

Post a Comment