Thursday, August 15, 2013

Austrian Quirks and Questions





AIMS is coming to a close!  We had our farewell dinner last night, and it was - surprise! - a sausage buffet.  (Our opening, welcome dinner was schnitzel.)  I'm going to miss living in Europe, and today I was thinking about some questions I've asked myself repeatedly ever since arriving in Graz.  Here they are:

1.  How do Austrians stay thin when they appear to be constantly eating ice cream, bread, cheese, beer, sausage, schnitzel, and potatoes?  It seems miraculous, although I'm assuming the answer is walking and biking.

2.  How do their digestive systems stay, ahem...regular, on such a diet?  Where's the fiber??  This is the last question in the world that would be acceptable to ask an Austrian, I think.

3.  Why do they wait for the walk sign to cross a tiny side street when there are absolutely no cars in sight?  I walked up to a road that could be crossed in two steps and everyone was gathered around, waiting. At that moment it was easy imagine them all gasping if I were to step forward.

4.  A lot of women here dye their hair colors that would look ridiculous on people in the States.  Yet, they look good.  Natural, even!  How do they pull it off?

5.  Why do they like aperol spritzers?  This is a very popular drink, people seem to be having it all the time.  It looks like liquid orange jello, and tastes similar, except more bitter.
.
Photos are from around the neighborhood during the blue hour.  (I used to say this and then one day realized it was a real term!)

xomo






No comments:

Post a Comment